It wasn’t pretty, but the Green Bay Packers found a way to come back to defeat the New York Jets 31-24, despite trailing at one point 21-3. Jordy Nelson stole the show as he had 209 yards on 9 receptions which included a 80 yard touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers. The Jets scored touchdowns on their first 3 drives but only managed a field goal rest of the way. The defense was lead by Mike Daniels who had 5 tackles and added a sack but seemed to provide an edge at times when the Packers needed it most.
Here are the rest of my thoughts from today’s Packers victory:
- Despite a rough start from Derek Sherrod, he seemed to settle down and block much better rest of the way. It helped that Mike McCarthy gave him some help but nevertheless, his name was said much less after the first few drives.
- Couldn’t be happier of the how the team came back after being down 18 points early on. That is the advantage of having a good mix of veterans who won’t let the team panic or give up.
- Aaron Rodgers seemed to be off early but ended up having a nice day. He finished the day going 25/42 for 346 yards and 3 touchdowns. He had one very ugly interception that was negated by a Jets penalty. There were a few times he held onto the ball a little long which resulted in some sacks but as a whole, can’t complain.
Tip of the hat to Jordy Nelson! What a game! That 80-yard TD grab was a great route and his breakaway speed is legit! So happy his deal got done before the season started!!
- Really hope Micah Hyde’s injury isn’t serious. He will be a very important piece against the Lions and Bears in the next few weeks.
- Not sure what was going on with the defense the early on, but it wasn’t pretty. The Packers can expect to fall behind by 18 and win weekly.
- On the flip side of that, the defense made some adjustments and only allowed 3 points after the poor start. The Jets shot themselves in the foot a few times but give credit to the defense for making stops and getting to Smith on several occasions.
- Enjoyed seeing Davante Adams become part of the offense. After Jarrett Boykin had a few drops, Adams came in and took advantage of his opportunity, here’s to him becoming a bigger part of the offense going forward.
- Where were the tight ends today? They seemed to be nonexistent on the day.
- Despite not hearing Sherrod’s name back half of the game, here’s to hoping that Bryan Bulaga is ready to go next week. Sherrod going against Detroit’s front line scares me.
- Loved the energy from Mike Daniels today! He was the catalyst behind the Packers getting mean and angry on defense and he played the roll today. Once he got going and made some plays, it seemed the whole defense followed suit.
- Like seeing the Packers mix it up between the 3-4 and the 4-3 but they have to make sure to keep Clay Matthews involved. That being said, his sack on Michael Vick was a thing of beauty, he was not going to be denied!
- Tramon Williams has been playing some very good football going back to the mid point of last season. He picked up his first interception of the year today along with having a few pass deflections.
- Kudos to Mason Crosby for keeping the Packers in the game by making all 3 of his field goal attempts.
- The Packers have areas to continue to work on as the season continues on, but 1-1 is better than 0-2.
- No matter what the Bears do tonight, the Packers will be tied for first in the division at this early point in the season. If the Bears lose, the Packers would be the only division team to win on the day.
- The Packers have 3 straight division games starting next week at Detroit! Today’s win was important, but they have to keep the momentum going as they head into an important, early stretch of the schedule.
- On that note, on to Detroit!
- Go Pack Go!
Give me a follow on twitter @mkhawk21 to talk all things Packers and more. Also make sure to follow @packers360 for Packers talk before, during and after the games.