Defense stole the show today in Detroit as the Lions defeated the Packers 19-7. For the second week in a row, the Packers fumbled on their opening possession, which was picked up and scored by the Detroit defense. Detroit added a safety later on which gave them a 9-7, a lead they wouldn’t give up.
The defense played a solid game throughout, only giving up 10 points but couldn’t make enough plays to offset the lack of offense. Matthew Stafford threw 2 interceptions, one to Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and the other to Davon House, but it wasn’t enough. The House interception preceded the Packers safety and Detroit didn’t have another turnover rest of the game.
Here are my other thoughts in the Packers 19-7 loss:
- What an ugly offensive game. Not going to win many games with that type of play. The Lions completely took Jordy Nelson away and the Packers had zero answer. There were several drops and it was very obvious that Rodgers had little faith in anyone else.
- On that note though, good to see the Tight Ends get involved a little today. Andrew Quarless had himself a fine day all things considered, scoring the Packers only touchdown.
- Someone besides Jordy Nelson has to step up at receiver. Rodgers appeared to be forcing the ball at times when he could have tried to throw it elsewhere. Definitely a position of worry at this early point in the season.
- The offensive line looked bad today. Something needs to give as the Packers will struggle if they can’t protect Rodgers.
- On that same note, Rodgers has to have a little bit quicker clock in his head. He holds the ball a little long sometimes and gets himself into sacks.
- The whole offense as a whole is off but something seems wrong with Eddie Lacy. I know it has been 3 tough rush defenses in a row but if he doesn’t get going, the offense is going to continue to struggle.
- As bad as the offense was, the defense played good today. They kept the team in the game the whole way, just ran out of gas at the end.
- I mentioned in an article early this week that the Packers had to win the turnover battle, and they did. Unfortunately, you need to score when you get the ball and Detroit won the points off turnover battle 9-7.
- On a turnover note, it was nice seeing a safety get a interception after going all of 2013 without one.
- Congrats to Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on his first NFL interception.
- Hello Julius Peppers! Made his presence known today! That strip/sack and recovered fumble was a thing of beauty.
- Clay Matthews has to stay healthy, need him to be on the field if the Packers defense is to continue to improve.
- Hard to find much to comment on after a game like today, just an overall dismal performance.
- I consider myself to be a diehard fan and yet I was shocked at how quickly everyone has turned on this team, we are 3 games into a 16 game season. I’m as upset and disappointed in todays performance as anyone else, but there is a lot of season left.
- After today’s loss, the Packers fall to 1-2 an in a tie for last place. This is the third year in a row that the Packers have been 1-2 after the first 3 games.
- The schedule doesn’t get any easier as the Packers are on the road again next week at Chicago on what could become an early season must win.
- As always, Go Pack Go!
Give me a follow on twitter @mkhawk21 to talk all things Packers and more. Also make sure to follow @packers360 for Packers talk before, during and after the games.