What a difference a week makes! The Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears went score for score early, but the Packers scored the final 24 points to come away with a much needed 38-17 blowout victory over the rival Bears. While the defense struggled at times, they were able to pick off Jay Cutler twice in the second half and didn’t allow a second half point. The story of the game was the offense as they dominated from the first drive until the end which helped the Packers improve to 2-2 on the young season.
Aaron Rodgers was the catalyst of the offense as he threw for 302 yards with 4 td’s and at times looked down right unstoppable. Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson both went over 100 yards receiving and each had 2 touchdown receptions. Eddie Lacy also found the end zone for the first time this season in the first quarter to get the scoring started for the Packers. Richard Rodgers had his first 2 career catches to get the game started and the Packers never looked back.
Here are some of my thoughts on the Packers 38-17 victory:
- Aaron Rodgers backed up his statement that everything was going to be alright and that everyone should “RELAX” with his dominating performance. It got a little old hearing the commentators talk about his statement but he was correct that everyone needed to relax.
- Rodgers 3rd quarter pass to Davante Adams that would have been a touchdown was an absolute thing of beauty! Even though it didn’t count, plays like that remind us how great Rodgers really is!
- Speaking of Adams, nice to see him get a few targets today. It was obvious that the game plan was to get Cobb and Nelson involved early and often, it was good to see that Adams is still in Rodgers sights during the course of the game.
- While we are discussing rookies, nice to see Richard Rodgers become part of the offense as well. His first 2 catches seemed to get the passing game going early and it never stopped all game long.
- While the offense was the story of the game, the running game still struggled to produce much of anything. Obviously, when the passing game is clicking like it was, it isn’t as big of a deal but there are definitely corrections that need to be made. Despite the struggles, it was good to see Lacy get into the end zone for the first time this season.
- Speaking of the running game, where were James Starks and Dujuan Harris today? Didn’t see either of them in the backfield once all day.
- Jordy Nelson is the man! His 2nd half touchdown pass was classic example of him just wanting it more than the defender.
- Kudos to the defense, while the struggled early on, they bent but didn’t break throughout the game. Only giving up a FG on the Bears 2nd drive and somehow not giving up any points right before halftime. You could see the confidence building as they pitched their 2nd half shut out.
- Micah Hyde had a rough game. When you’re best play of the day was blocking the view of a potential touchdown, you know it was a bad day.
- Clay Matthews name wasn’t said a lot today but when he had to make a play, he did. His reaction on his interception was priceless as he was as shocked as everyone else that the ball ended up in his hands. He could’ve scored if he was healthy but it was good to see him make a big play when he had the chance.
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is a future star! His tackle of Martellus Bennett just before halftime kept points off the board and he always seemed to be around the ball. There will be some growing pains throughout the season but the talent is there for sure!
- Sam Shields had a very good day. So did Tramon Williams.
- The pass rush was still pretty nonexistent but it was good to see Datone Jones get a sack in the second half to seal the deal. Still believe he can be a force on the defense.
- For the 3rd consecutive year, after the Packers started 1-2 but they bounced back with a victory to get back to 2-2 on the season.
- It’s a short week as the Packers host the Vikings on Thursday Night Football. It will be the Packers 2nd Thursday Night game of the season, the first being the season opener at Seattle.
- Much better being 2-2 than 1-3. This team and fanbase needed this dominating performance. Considering the vibe a week ago, it’s fun to think this team could be above .500 by Friday.
- As always, Go Pack Go!!
As always, make sure to follow @packers360 for Packers talk before, during and after the games. Give me a follow on twitter @mkhawk21 to talk all things Packers and more. Make sure to check back after the games as we will have our recaps and my thoughts on the game. Go Pack Go!