There are a few words that could be used to describe the Packers 42-10 victory over the Vikings tonight on Thursday Night Football, but dominating may be the most appropriate. In every facet, the Packers were the better team on the field as they sprinted ahead 42-0 and never had to look back. The defense sacked Christian Ponder 6 times as well as picked him off twice, Eddie Lacy added 2 touchdowns and Aaron Rodgers threw 3 touchdowns as the Packers move to 3-2 on the season.
It took the Packers a drive to get going but behind great blocking by the offensive line, Eddie Lacy was able to get some big gains as the Packers went in for first of many scores. Eddie Lacy had his best game of the season, rushing for 105 yards while also adding 27 yards receiving to go with his 2 touchdowns. Davante Adams scored his first career touchdown pass in the 2nd quarter and Jeff Janis add his first NFL catch. Aaron Rodgers didn’t have to do to much but still managed to throw 3 touchdowns which game him 200 in his career on
The defense dominated from the very start as they were able to slow down the running game and get consistent pressure on Christian Ponder the whole night. Julius Peppers highlighted the defensive effort as with his 49 yard interception return for a touchdown in the 2nd quarter that at the time put the Packers up 21-0. Morgan Burnett was flying around the ball all night with multiple solo tackles and chipped in with a forced fumble. On the night, the Packers forced 3 turnovers which lead to 14 points by the Packers.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the Packers 42-10 victory over the Vikings:
- Welcome back Eddie Lacy! After struggling most of the season, he showed some burst and ran tough highlighted by his 2nd touchdown run when he knocked the helmet off the Vikings defender. If he can run like rest of the season, look out!
- Jordy Nelson is a beast! The even know the was relatively quiet, his one grab was a loud 66 yard touchdown pass where he was WIDE open! He is worth every penny of that newly signed contract!
- Randall Cobb is a touchdown machine!
- Congrats to Davante Adams on his first career NFL touchdown!
- Hated the toss sweep call on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game. I don’t get why they consistently run that play on short yardage but I couldn’t stand that call.
- Julius Peppers is the man! That interception return was a thing of beauty and seemed to put the game away early on. The score was only 21-0 but you could just sense it was over early.
- The defense seemed to be sick of hearing about how poor they have been playing leading into tonight’s game. I understand that they only had to face Christian Ponder, but they played with purpose and made sure that the Vikings weren’t going to score enough tonight.
- Mike Daniels and Letroy Guion were around the quarterback a lot tonight as each added 1.5 sacks each.
- Not to beat a dead horse but where was Greg Jennings tonight? He was a complete nonfactor.
- As mentioned above, Morgan Burnett played a great game! 12 tackles, 9 of them solo, and he forced a fumble. After a incredibly disappointing 2013 season, he is bouncing back nicely early on in 2014.
- Over the past 8 quarters, the Packers have defeated the Bears and the Vikings by a combined score of 80-27.
- Packers have 10 days off now before heading on the road to take on the Miami Dolphins in Week 6.
- Hard to find to many things to nitpick about tonight, enjoy the blowout victory Packers fans!! Always fun knocking off the Bears and Vikings over the course of 4 days!
- It is very hard to imagine that just 5 days ago this team was 1-2 and everyone was trying to figure out what was going wrong. As Aaron Rodgers said, we only just needed to “RELAX”
- Enjoy the long break Packers fans!
- Go Pack Go!
As always, make sure to follow @packers360 for Packers talk before, during and after the games. Give me a follow on twitter @mkhawk21 to talk all things Packers and more. Make sure to check back after the games as we will have our recaps and my thoughts on the game. Go Pack Go!